Person of the Week - 12.29.09


Drake

I didn't know much about Aubrey Drake Graham when his mainstream career took off. My friends watched Degrassi; I never did. I started listening to his music back in June: Best I Ever Had and Young Money's Every Girl. It all sounded good, but I didn't distinguish him from others until my cousin had one of his mixtapes in her car. I listened to his songs: he rapped and he sang. It sounded cool. What really made him standout was how he tells stories through his raps. With every song comes a story. Now he has 2 Grammy Award Nominations.
If the stories he tells are real or not - I have no idea. Whether they're fictitious or true, Drake is a good storyteller. They're interesting and relatable. And that's what really drew me into to his music. Come Winter, Video Girl, Say What's Real, November 18th, Brand New, Sooner Than Later, and Congratulations are all stories where I hear situations, resolutions, and post-situation thoughts. It's cool being taken somewhere else when listening to a song. I think it shows music as true art.
If I ever meet Drake I'd want to know about the relationship with his uncle that he mentions in Fear, Sucessful, and another song that I can't remember lol.

And I have just one question: What happened on November 18th?

0 comments:

Post a Comment